This is the final LTP, after considerable submissions against the runway extension have been heard and received. Some major caveats have been added to the ring-fenced $90m for the runway extension:
The LTP now says that the Council will make a final decision on this project and whether to commit funding to construction once:
- WIAL has obtained resource consent for the project
- The Council has received and considered a cost-benefit analysis and business case from WIAL
- that will be independently reviewed.
Other key considerations that the Council has said will need to be considered before it makes its final decision relate to:
- The resilience of a runway extension to weather and climate change
- The proposed investment vehicle and any revenue agreement
- Satisfactory airline commitments
- Funding arrangements for construction and confirmed construction costs
- The governance and management structure to oversee construction.
The Council has also said it will undertake further public consultation before making a final decision on whether to commit funding to construct the runway extension.